Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pick Myself UP and BRUSH Myself Off...

Brushes!  Wish I had learned how to make them and mix paints from powdered pigments.  As this inexperienced artist, trying to learn fast in my slightly over middle aged crisis years, it is becoming more and more apparent that either you have "got it," or you have got better equipment.  

Let's face it, there are those who can create a masterpiece out of dregs left in the family barbecue pit and a Big Chief Tablet.  Pure natural talent, and they have it from up above.  Maybe I like to think I have some of that, but the truth is I don't.  So I need all the crutches I can muster up.  

That in mind, I am reading and watching art videos which over and over press the point of good brushes.  Now it did not take me long to figure out that there are better more controllable ways to paint than the typical Hobby Lobby brushes I have been buying when they go half price.  The true problem is that they just don't hold up to the abuse from the canvas, the paint, turpentine and mediums.  I have been on a quest to learn more about brushes and the local art stores in Tulsa are not that great of a resource.



About six months ago I first heard of Rosemary Brush Co. in the UK and really became interested in searching them out.  A good number of the real greats here in the US tout these brushes and their quality and control.  Today, I spoke to my new friend, Sylvia at Rosemary Brush Co. via the internet.  The world is a wonderfully small place now where you can chat live with someone in another continent  about the product they make without even paying a dime.  



She helped me select a grouping of brushes from their Ivory line as well as some from their Red Sable and Masters Choice group.  I will be ordering these handmade wonderful brushes soon and we shall see just what it does to help me improve.  

Richard Schmid
"Rosemary's brushes are my choice as the perfect interments for painting.  No other brushes in the world quite compare to them for performance, superb, quality, and variety."

David Leffel
"A painting is the pictorial representation of an artist intelligence and sensitivity.  To portray these qualities one needs a brush that's responsive to every nuanced emotion.  Caressing the paint with a handmade Rosemary brush is a privilege every artist should enjoy."



No comments:

Post a Comment